Join us at the Royal Ontario Museum (R.O.M.) in Toronto for this exclusive photo lesson & tour at Ontario’s most famous and most highly revered museum. From a private classroom with exclusive access to behind-the-scene artifacts to a guided walkabout tour of several of the R.O.M.’s galleries, this event will give participants the experience of photographing fascinating historical subjects in photographically challenging circumstances - including low light, artificial light, dealing with reflections and more. This photography tour also includes an access pass to all of the R.O.M.’s other galleries and exhibits - all accessible until the museum closes.
Contest: Participants will have the opportunity to submit their best shot from this event for a chance to win a 16”x20‘ canvas wrap ($100 value), made from their winning image.
Seats are limited and sell fast. Book your spot today!
**This is considered a Special Event. As per our policies, refunds and reschedule will not be permitted.**
Basic camera knowledge
- Welcome & Orientation
- Photo Lesson: Understanding and preparing for the photographic challenges ahead - including: dealing with low light, artificial light, reflections, shooting through glass and more.
- Up Close & Personal: In-Classroom presentation of behind-the-scenes artifacts, their history and an opportunity to photograph them.
- Lunch Break (35 minutes)
- Guided Gallery Tour: With both an official R.O.M. guide and your Henry’s Learning Lab instructor, participants will visit and photograph several of the museum’s famous galleries, including those dedicated to: Dinosaur skeletons & fossils; Medieval Europe; Asia; Egypt; Rome; South Asia and more.
- Free time and the opportunity to visit the ‘Wildlife Photographer of the Year’ exhibit as well as other galleries.
Who Should Attend?
Beginner to intermediate level owners of interchangeable lens cameras (DLSR or mirrorless) who are looking to increase their knowledge and improve their skills at shooting indoors in the challenging light that museums can often have. Fundamental camera techniques including: controlling focus, frame advance & self timer options, image playback and menu navigation should already be familiar. Awareness of semi-auto camera modes (shutter & aperture priority), exposure compensation, white balance, ISO control are also valuable assets, but will be reviewed during the classroom component.
What To Bring To Class:
- Camera Gear:
- Fully charged battery + extra battery
- Memory cards
- Lenses: 28mm-100mm (or equivalent) range
Other Recommended Gear:
- Prime lenses suitable for low light photography, such as:
- 28mm f/2.8 (or equivalent)
- 50mm f/1.8 (or equivalent)
- 85mm f/1.8 (or equivalent)
- Circular polarizing filter
Clothing & Other:
- Black or otherwise dark clothing (to help deal with reflections)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Snack (ex: energy bar)
- Water bottle
** Henry's Rentals: Wish you had a special lens or camera body for this event?
Check: www.henrys.com/rentals for equipment selection and more information.