Join us in downtown St. John’s, NFLD for this fun, interactive, hands-on outdoor photography workshop that focuses on getting great results while photographing various subjects within the city. As we walk from location to location we’ll address tips & techniques you can apply when capturing St. John’s architecture, doing outdoor portraits, street photography, and more.
Camera 101 class or equivalent
- Camera Orientation: Modes & features you’ll need for the day.
- Composition & Perspective: Starting in Bannerman Park, we’ll discuss and put into use concepts which contribute to effective composition. We’ll also explore the impact changing perspective can make on any subject.
- Architecture - Capturing Details and its Story: How to go beyond just taking that simple wide-angle photo of a place of interest. Learn how to approach, see and better capture the details and other important features to better capture its whole character and history.
St. John’s Basilica will be our case subject.
- On the Street - Capturing the Character of a Neighbourhood. Shapes, lines, patterns, colours and people - together they all form a location’s character. Walking through Jelly Bean Row, we’ll put concepts and camera together to capture this iconic neighbourhod of St. John’s. We’ll also explore techniques to produce more interesting portraits - both isolated and environmental.
Who Should Attend?
Beginner-to-intermediate level owners of interchangeable lens cameras (DLSR or mirrorless) who are looking to increase their knowledge and improve their skills at photographing places and people. Fundamental camera techniques including: controlling focus, image playback and menu navigation should already be familiar. Some awareness of semi-auto camera modes (shutter & aperture priority), exposure compensation, white balance, ISO control is also an asset.
What To Bring To Class:
- Fully charged battery + extra battery
- Memory cards
- Lenses: 24mm-135mm (or equivalent) range coverage***
*** Henry's Rentals: Wish you had a special lens or camera body for this event?
Check: www.henrys.com/rentals for rentable equipment selection and more information.
Clothing & Other:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Water bottle
MEETING LOCATION INFO:
The meeting point for this outdoor workshop will be at the Military Rd. entrance of Bannerman Park. Directions, parking options and route map will be emailed a few days before the workshop day.
ADVERSE WEATHER / RAIN POLICY:
In the event of strong rain or other adverse weather conditions, students will be contacted no later than two (2) hours before the scheduled start time. Please check your email and phone messages for details about a potential cancellation before heading out to the workshop location.
Cancellation Due to Weather:
Prior to class start time: Customers will be given the option to rebook or receive a refund their registration.
After class start time up until half way through: Customers we be offered to rebook to the next available date
After half away through the class: Rebooking or refunds will not be available if more than half of the allotted time for the class has passed.